[Paleopsych] From Eshel--A Glitch in Genetic-centrism

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 23:50:17 UTC 2005

This is wonderful material, Val.

Remember that I applied bacterial information and your concept of
maintenance and dispersal phenotypes to history and came up with five social  modes that
reflected your phenotype model?  Those were the fleeing,  fasting, feeding,
questing, and conquering modes.

When a society was under severe stress and had no sense that its leaders or
form of social organization provided hope for control over its persistently
catastrophic conditions, it went into the fleeing mode.  Its members
scattered, ran, and become refugees in other cultures where they begged for
admittance.  We saw this in Bosnia a few years ago.

When a society was hit with persistent disaster, but still had faith in its
leaders, its beliefs, and its form of social organization--its way of life--it
 hunkered down in something like the population biologist's k mode--the
fasting  mode.  It went into self-denial, making things like gluttony cardinal
sins.  We saw this in the dark ages, when any form of pleasure or  consumption
was a slap in the face of god.  And it happened with the  Pacific Northwest's
Yurok Indians, who lived on a tiny swatch of land and made  self-denial the
primary stamp of virtue.  Yurok babies, for example,  weren't breast fed whenever
they cried.  Instead they were given  tiny amounts of gruel on micro-spoons
made of acorn shells.  They were  taught to endure a state of perpetual hunger.

When a society hit a new strategy that turned an old pile of junk into a
motherlode or when it ran into a motherlode of food or other resources that
yielded easily to the existing way of doing things, it focused on using the
fashionable means of the moment to mine the new resources for all they were  worth.
 It became conservative and stressed conformity to the  prosperity-producing
mode of the day.  This was the feeding period.   It happened in America in the
1950s.  It happened in Athens after the end  of the wars with Persia in
roughy 470 bc.

But when the motherlode and its wealth was assured that it had lasted a
genration or two and seemed like it would go on forever, some of the kids of the
feeders became like Socrates.  They challenged the old way of doing  things.
They rebelled and raised questions.  They hunted down new  meanings.  They
became questers.

Then came the stage I found hard to define.  When a society was riding  high
on an ascending pattern of prosperity whose acceleration seemed like it  would
never stop, it became convinced that its way of life was god-given,  endorsed
by history, deity, and the rain of riches as the one way of life that  should
be imposed on everyone in sight, including on societies near and  far.  This
sort of conquering mode hit Athens in the generation  of Socrates pupils.
Pericles had turned the defensive Athenian League  from a coalition into an
Empire. Then on of Socrates' students, Alcibiades,  went off to conquer Syracuse.The
conquering mode hit England in the days when it  grew rich from  steam engine
technologies and built the Victorian  Empire.  Late in the 19th Century it
hit Germany and the United States,  both of which experienced a rapid rise in
wealth thanks to the railroad train,  new electrical technologies (think Thomas
Edison and Seimens), and the new  chemical industries (think Bayer).  Both
nations caught a serious case  of manifest destiny--the sense that they, their
race, and their culture should  rule the world.  This is the conquering mode.

Your description of the generation-by-generation alteration in body type
helped trigger this entire conceptual framework.  Your outline of it below  adds
to the concept.

All thanks--Howard

In a message dated 3/28/2005 10:40:27 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,