[Paleopsych] Tom Coburn on abortion

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 15 23:38:34 UTC 2005

So are you saying that beliefs or values
trump facts in this case?

I don't believe that 12 year olds should
be having sex, but if in fact they are,
then I think they should have the same
responsibilities and resources as other
sexually active humans.

This may be a blind spot in our culture
which others do not share.

We may pass laws that say that kids
shouldn't be sexually aware until we think
they are, but some people have said they
were sexy when they were quite young.

And it is a problem in the real world when
10 year old boys make passes at other
10 year old boys.  This is really happening
these days.  Not often, but schools are
confronting these episodes.

One reason for this is that girls are
developing earlier due to estrogen-like
chemicals in our food supply.  I don't
know that there are testosterone
equivalents that are waking up boys,
but I wouldn't be surprised if there was.

It's a real mess, but I don't think that we
should ignore facts in favor of beliefs in
this or any other situation.