[extropy-chat] Real Extropians don't drive SUVs

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 05:21:29 UTC 2004

> Granted, it was (mostly) paved, and dry.  And there
> wasn't any wildlife on the road (although there were a
> few other vehicles who passed me).  But the low center
> of gravity was what kept me on the road.

Please forgive the vast departure from the subject, but
this comment reminded me of an amusing incident that happened
at work (I am easily amused).  We had a manlift, which is
like a cherry picker device for reaching stuff up high:

http://www.aerialsales.com/

We were extending it to wacky angles with the basket
cantilevered way out there.  I couldn't figure out why
the topple alarm wasn't howling: my back of the envelope
calcs showed the CG must be right at the front wheels.
I was baffled until I learned that the tires are filled
with lead shot.  A single digit precision calc suggested
the wheels weighed over 600 pounds each, moving
the GC well inside the safety zone.

We should be able to pull off some excellent gags or
illusions with a car in which the four wheels weigh more
than the rest of the car.  Ideas?