[extropy-chat] Transhumanism mentioned in "Skeptic" re: cryonics

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 15:33:53 UTC 2004

--- Patrick Wilken <Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE> wrote:

> On 8 Dec 2004, at 15:28, Joseph Bloch wrote:
>
> > I disagree; the term "pseudo-science" is dismissive. It is used to
> > describe such things as UFOlogy, phrenology, and other areas of
> > dubious scientific merit. It is most certainly not the brush I'd
> want
> > to be painted with...
>
> I think more correctly pseudo-science is used to define work that its
> proponents claim is scientific when its not. Since Extropians don't
> claim their belief structure is scientific this is simply false.
> Perhaps some Extropians have pseudo-scientific beliefs, that's
> another issue.
>
> No one is claiming that there are scientific principles that show the
> inevitability of singularity etc are they?

a) Moore's Law was determined by an econometric study of integrated
chip development and market response.
b) Various scientific studies have determined various amounts of
'processing power' that is in the human brain.

It is pretty clear that if you label belief in the likelihood of the
Singularity a pseudoscientific belief, then that tar brush equally
applies to all of economics that seeks to predict future economic
activity based on past results and various scientifically arrived-at
models.

However, that being said, Extropy itself does not infer a belief in the
Singularity. It is merely a set of principles or philosophy that many
believe is most conducive to humanity surviving to and through any
technological singularity.

At this point in time, I would say with confidence that those who don't
believe there will be some sort of technological singularity are those
who are being the most pseudo-scientific or un-scientific in their
beliefs. The weight of evidence is just too signficant to think otherwise.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)