[extropy-chat] Re: John Wright Finds God

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Fri Dec 10 22:43:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 05:30:06PM -0600, john-c-wright at sff.net wrote:
> Like most good Stoics (and all good
> Objectivists), my reason had concluded that there must be an objective moral
> order to the universe (for, if not, then there is no ground to condemn those who
> falsely think it so. If there is no virtue, intellectual integrity and honesty
> are not virtues, therefore the thinker has no reason to practice even the small
> amount of honesty needed to think about the question of whether there is a moral
> order to the universe).

Let me get this straight:

- If no objective moral order, can't condemn people who think there is an
  objective moral order.

- If no objective moral order, no reason to think about whether there is
  an objective moral order.

If I may simplify, action requires an objective moral order, you
perceive action, therefore an objective moral order exists.

I missed the proof for "action requires an objective moral order."

> As a Christian, it was shown to me that this moral order
> which I dimly perceived with my reason, is a living thing, a Mind, a Principle,
> that can operate on me independent of my reason, and bring me (I pray) into
> conformity with it.

Sure, why not.

> In sum, the old me and the new me can agree on the
> objectivity of morality; where the old me had a relation to the moral order of
> the universe like that of a mathematician to geometry, the new me has a
> father-son relationship with it.

Thanks for the reminder that Objectivists are nuts also.

Please do not be gentle.

--
  Mike Linksvayer
  http://gondwanaland.com/ml/