[extropy-chat] Redneck Transhumanists

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 23:30:00 UTC 2004

--- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:
> It wasn't recent, but I've made my views about the use of the term
> "rednecks" before.  Many people here pooh-poohed me.  But I'll say it
> again, for the record.  I find the term "redneck" both racist and
> abhorrently classist (not to mention "jobist").  In my library I
> have a book from the early 1941s filled with jokes about Asians,
> blacks,  Jews, etc. - each group
> getting its very own chapter of jokes.  Ugly stuff, but not unlike
> the jokes about "rednecks" here.
>
> One of the meanings of "transhumanism" is that it's a "philosophy ...
> favoring the use of  certain technologies to improve the human
> condition beyond the constraints of biological evolution."
> IMHO we can do a lot to
> improve the human condition now by resisting making fun of a certain
> class and "race" of people.

Ah, Olga, the problem with your noble sentiments is that they are too
noble. Try'n tell this tripe to a redneck, and they'll laugh at you,
they already laugh at it when well intentioned folks like yourself
start talkin' about the need for ebonics and bilingual education and
why we shouldn't profile arabs n' other muslims when almost all
terrorists are such. We ain't ignunt, we'ze just folks, salt of the
earth, and the common sense of simple folks is just over the heads of
those who try their whole lives to be as sophisticated as possible.

Confucius, in his wisdom, declared the simple peasant farmer as being
of the highest station in chinese society, while merchants and city
intellectuals are of the lowest.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development