[extropy-chat] Group Hungover

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sun Jun 13 08:29:51 UTC 2004

At 12:48 AM 6/13/04 -0500, Damien wrote:

>At 06:43 PM 6/12/2004 -0700, Natasha quoted me:
>
>>>I'm not an extropian, so I don't have a say, but as an interested
>>>observer I'd recommend leaving this alone.
>>
>>Hey, I'm not an "extropian" either :-)
>
>Eh? It says here: "President, Extropy Institute."

Yes I am :-)  I don't use the term extropian.

>I know you don't like the clumsy term `extropianism', because it seems to
>imply cultishness or clannishness or something, but I haven't seen any
>suggestion that all the people on the list who call themselves extropians
>(like Spike, say) are mistaken in doing so. What gives with that?

You are right.  Oh my, listen people can call themselves whatever makes
them feel good.  I was a transhumanist long before I knew of Extropy
Institute, and when I found out about ExI, I thought it was the best
organization around to get transhumanism off the ground.  (Remember
Extropy, the Journal of Transhumanist Thought" way back in the early 1990s
-)  It caught my eye and I became a member of ExI.  My philosophical view
is that of the transhumanist philosophy of Extropy.

>>Listen, you missed the point. It is the business of WTA, so let's leave
>>it with WTA.
>
>But that's what I just suggested: to leave it alone.

Okay, sorry.  It was the drama of your writing :-)

>>The only people drawing ExI into this are those, like you, who keep
>>pinning one against the other.
>
>Huh? My suggestion was that people *avoid* pitting one against the other,
>even if goaded. Let the flames die down, right?

I'm sorry, let me explain.

You wrote:  'I'm not an extropian, so I don't have a say, but as an
interested observer I'd recommend leaving this alone. Let it go out,
probably not even any need to piss on it. Do we really benefit from having
the People's Front of Judea brawling in public with the Judean People's Front?"

By this, the inference is that ExI is one of these parties and WTA is
another of the parties, above.   ExI is NOT one of the players in the
current situation with WTA.   The players/parties are WTA's Board.  I hope
this explains.

I wrote a couple of short posts this past week stating that ExI is not
involved with WTA's business (nor should it be) and I stated that it would
be in all our best interest if we did not refer to the current problems
there or on the WTA-chat list. When any of us, including me, bring ExI into
WTA's problems it goes off course.  So, by this very post, I am
contributing to the perpetuation of this nonsense. Damn.

warmly,
Natasha

Natasha Vita-More
http://www.natasha.cc