[extropy-chat] conversing with S. Jay Olshansky and Aubrey de Grey

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Fri Nov 12 07:02:43 UTC 2004

> Did any of you read of the recent vitamin E study that
> concluded a large fraction of those subjects who took
> only 200 IU a day had a higher rate of heart attacks?
> Even though it is only one study, what a bringdown.

The current recommendation at RealAge.com is still for 400 IU per day.
I sent them email asking whether they would be reevaluating their
recommendations.

The article I read yesterday (in the San Jose Mercury News; presumably
it was on the wire everywhere) said that a recent large study showed
that people who took 400 IU per day were at increased risk (about 10%
higher) of early death.

Today I look at BBC news (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3998847.stm)
and they point out that the participants in the study were 60 and over,
and had heart trouble, so the results may not apply to young healthy
adults.   Whew!

 From the article:

   In the study, there was no increased risk of death with doses of 200
   IU (133mg) per day or less, and there was evidence to suggest these
   doses might be of some benefit.

Chris
--
It is easy to turn an aquarium into fish soup, but not so
easy to turn fish soup back into an aquarium.

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
http://mydruthers.com