Oxygenating the flame in threads was Re: [extropy-chat] a futurist prediction

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Aug 26 02:26:39 UTC 2005

On Aug 25, 2005, at 6:16 PM, Emlyn wrote:

> On 26/08/05, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> My idea is similar, only people vote by filtering the
>> offender rather than having some sort of organized
>> balloting. You are the computer guy, Eugen, so can
>> this be done?
>>

> IANAE, but here are my two cents...
>
> Filters are passive client side things, so there's no way to detect
> their use.
>
> What you could possibly do is set up an email address - say
> extropy-crap at lists.extropy.org. People could forward email they
> disliked to that address, as a vote against it. Instead of killfiling
> someone, you could forward their entire output to that address, as a
> permanent mark of disdain!

An extropy crap list has a certain (perhaps dark) appeal.  No
really.   This is a workable way to get feedback.  It is far less
crude than a blanket decision to just auto-delete everything from a
person.     I like this idea.

> I guess you'd also want an extropy-great at lists.extropy.org, to send
> excellent posts and favoured postors to.

Instead we could keep one mailing address that readers could forward
a post to along with a q (utter crap) to 10 (excellent) score or
whatever scoring scheme we could agree upon.   Mail to this address
could be filtered to a program that maintained the database.

> With something like that in place and publicised, you've got a voting
> mechanism accomplished entirely by email (useful, because I think it
> has become clear over time that most members use email exclusively,
> not the web forum that I assume still exists).
>
> If you were feeling particularly motivated, you could calculate
> aggregate "quality" scores for postors, and put that score in each
> subject line or email body sent by the person (that is, it would be
> added by the server).
>
> With some carefully formatted subject line tags, clever email users
> might find that they can actually filter on the quality score in the
> future.
>
> The possibilities of such a mechanism are quite large, I think.

Yep.  The trick, as with most good ideas, will be settling on a
useful subset that can be relatively quickly implemented and is
widely used with minimum hassle.

- samantha