[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

Marc Geddes marc.geddes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 03:58:30 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Robin Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:

> Oh it is much worse than that.  If qualia are properties that do not sit
> in
> the network of causation for brain states, then qualia cannot be the
> reason
> that anyone claims that they have qualia!  The fact that qualia exist and
> that people argue for qualia existing could only be a coincidence.  People
> would say they had qualia even if qualia did not exist.
>

> Robin Hanson  rhanson at gmu.edu  http://hanson.gmu.edu
> Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
> MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
> 703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323

Robin,

This in no way contradicts my theory that qualia are processes on a
higher-dimensional time-line.  Nor does it contradict other forms of modern
dualism.  The fact that qualia *includes* material causality (as I agree
they must) in no way proves that qualia are *only* these material processes.

As an analogy, take a cube.  Now take a 2-d 'slice' of that cube (which is a
square).  Is the 2-d slice equivalent to the cube?  No.  In my theory of
higher dimensional time, qualia are a form of multi-dimensional causality
which *includes* (projects down on to) ordinary material brain causality.  So
of course I agree that the network of causal brain-states is *part* of what
qualia are.  But the relationship between qualia and material brain
processes could be analogous to the relationship between the cube and a  2-d
slice of that cube.

You are also being too pessimistic when you say that if qualia are something
beyond ordinary material causality we can never know about it.  Science is
filled with examples of indirectly inferring the existence of things (dark
matter for instance or 11-d superstring theory where we inferred extra
spatial dimensions).  Non-material aspects of qualia coud also be indirectly
inferred.  (for instance my multi-dimensional time theory - extra time
dimensions could be indirectly inferred if it were shown that such a
hypothesis were an effective explanation).

--
To see a World in a grain of sand,
And Heaven in a wild flower,

Please visit my web-site: