[extropy-chat] A Lurker's Caveat

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 14:13:20 UTC 2005

On 11/30/05, E N <templar137 at webtv.net> wrote:

> BUT: Why do many of you argue angels-on-a pin philosophy about qualia
> and oftentimes use the words "moral" and "good" and "evil" as though  they
> were any more than a human verbal contrivance with no more artificial
> meaning than we choose to give it.
> It's tummy warming but meaningless.

True, when the qualia discussion comes up, as I believe it has several (?)
times before,  I tend to view almost all, if not all, of the emails involved
as someone saying "symbol" "symbol" "symbol", or should I say "sound and
fury signifying nothing"?

But its a genetic thing.  The person with the most creative answer gets more
points and more points means one gets the girl (which is genetically
important to at least the males involved in the qualia discussion whether
they consciously believe so or not...).  [A recent study showed that more
creative people have more sexual partners -- presumably because there is a
survival advantage associated with creativity when the shit hits the fan.]

The biggest part of any human exchange is that we all are abominably stupid,
> [snip]

Which is *why* we develop things like PCs, supercomputers (for simulations),
Google, Wikipedia, and eventually brain augmentation, Jupiter Brains &
Matrioshka Brains.

There *is* hope (but you will most likely not see it in the qualia
discussion...).

Robert