[extropy-chat] sri lanka tragedy a result of global warming?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 5 03:57:16 UTC 2005

Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] sri lanka tragedy a result of global warming?

At 12:13 PM 1/2/2005 -0800, Spike Jones wrote:

>My father in law has suggested
>that pumping all that oil out of the ground allowed the earth
>to collapse into the resulting cavities.

Damien Broderick:  This is precisely the kind of malicious anti-capitalist
rumor that Michael Crichton warns us ...Damien Broderick

AHA!  christians did it!  From Brit Hume's grapevine:

Disaster's Cause?

A Muslim cleric on Saudi TV insists he knows what caused the deadly tsunami
in South Asia - Christians. Saudi Cleric Muhammed Al-Manajjid says,
"[Christmas and other Christian holidays] are accompanied by forbidden
things, by immorality, abomination, adultery, alcohol, drunken dancing ...
and revelry. ... [So] At the height of immorality, Allah took vengeance on
these criminals."

He did not explain why the vengeance was taken on largely non-Christian
nations.

Back in the U.S., meanwhile, a writer on the Web site Democratic Underground
said President Bush and the war in Iraq could be to blame. The writer,
quoted by The New York Times, says,
"You know, we've exploded many millions of tons of ordnance upon this poor
planet. All that 'shock and awe' stuff ... Perhaps the earth was just
reacting to something that man has done to injure it."