[extropy-chat] weaponry

Kevin Freels cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 7 03:49:19 UTC 2005

You would need a laser with a much wider beam than a pointer. Even the smallest movement at the source causes the beam at 15 feet away to move around wildly. EVen on a good day with all of your attention, you would be hard pressed to keep the point on one eyeball (most attackers will also have two eyes) When in an urgent fearful situation you can forget it. That's why in defensive shooting you learn to shoot for the chest and not the head. You need all the chances you can get to hit the target. The chest is the largest target. Eyeballs are simply too small of a target.

However, I do like the idea of a super wide beam pulse laser type device. It could work similar to a camera flash, but would have to be more focused. If you could get a 2 foot beam at 25 feet you might have something. Compact it down to the size of a firearm, let me get 11 shots off in 3 seconds (just in case I miss the first 10 times) and you might even have me won. That 280 lb man will still land on me, but he won;t be able to fight. :-)