[extropy-chat] A Call to Arms in the War of Evolution and an Inquiry about SMI2LE

Diego Caleiro diegocaleiro at terra.com.br
Sun Jan 23 16:15:05 UTC 2005

 Hello Brian, and any other young transhumanist who likes this list because of
the many intelligent, experts and discussion-likers we can find here.

 I  know how does it feel to have less than 6 people to help your thinking,
and extropy chat is a very good place to advance our theories of any kind, as
I have discovered on this last few months in which I have been here. Sometime
ago I have posted a liberal decalogue on wta-talk (another discussion group)
that I think all young people here should apreciate, but before, I'd like to
post some of my views on your text.

 You seemed to be very metaphysical in some assumptions, like if you had a
purpose to beleive that there is something really metaphysical within the
governance of the universe. This appears when you use the subjective idea of
positive and negative things, and in the idea of a universal purpose. Both
positive and negative are not metaphysical entities, they are just logical
fictions we made up for the sake of argument. Purpose is something that is
less fictional than positive and negative. Still, purpose is something that
can be atributted only to conscious beings, and there is no sense into
stablish a direct conection between survival of the fittest and purpose, or
between greater complexity and purpose. Both survival of the fittest and
greater complexity do not need any "desire" to appear, they are only the
consequences of our universe history.

 Also, you seemed to distorce the significance of survival of the fittest.
First, you have said that there is a survival of the fittest that makes the
universe rearranges itself in greater orders of complexity, and that this
greater order of complexity lead us to power. You seem to beleive that
something which is the fittest is better, or something which is more complex
is better than a simpler thing. Therefore, you gathered
good = Survival of the fittest
survival of the fittest -> complexity -> power
so
power = good

 The fittest is not always good, as you can see by the catholic philosophy
domination of the world, and power is not also good by essence, any
dictadorship shows you that.

 Endorsing power like this is not exactly usefull, and trying to achieve power
is not the purpose of our lifes, only one of our evolutional characteristics.

 About the fields you proposed yourself to study, I beleive that it is also
important to study mathematical probablility, and psychology.

 Beck to the beggining here is the Liberal Decalogue I beleive all young
extropians should read, before they get psychologically narrow in their
thinking freeness.

A Liberal Decalogue
 Perhaps the essence of the Liberal outlook could be summed up in a new
decalogue, not intended to replace the old one but only to supplement it. The
Ten Commandments that, as a teacher, I should wish to promulgate, might be
set forth as follows:

1. Do not feel absolutely certain of anything.

2. Do not think it worth while to proceed by concealing evidence, for the
evidence is sure to come to light.

3. Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed.

4. When you meet with opposition, eve n if it should be from your husband or
your children, endeavor to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for
a victory dependent upon authority is unreal and illusory.

5. Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary
authorities to be found.

6. Do not use power to suppress opinions you think pernicious, for if you do
the opinions will suppress you.

 7. Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was
once eccentric.

 8. Find more pleasur e in intelligent dissent that in passive agreement, for,
if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper
agreement than the latter.

 9. Be scrupulously truthful, even if the truth is inconvenient, for it is
more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.

10. Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool's
paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness.

for the sake of the 4th commandment, I supressed the author name.

may physics be with you

Diego (Log At)

" Free will is as much an invention as are Gods, Religions and Metaphisical
souls. They are nothing but the results of the constant desire of the human
being to be more important than he really is"   --  myself .