[extropy-chat] NPOV

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 15:02:58 UTC 2005

On 7/12/05, Bret Kulakovich wrote:

> It's not popping up, it was great that you brought it into the list,
> particularly at this point in time. So the mention here is
> intentional, and I think we need to deeply consider NPOV as a basis
> for certain discussion on this list. I appreciate the respect for
> freedom to post on whatever topic we want on Extropy-Chat, and that
> the moderators leave well enough alone.
>
> As for the subject of the post itself, I find it hard to believe that
> with the intellectual width and breadth this list has, that we cannot
> discuss this topic at a higher level. I am offering some thoughts on
> the macro view, which is imho much more plausible then any of the
> inhumanities churned out by either political party, the media, and so
> forth.

Sorry, but you won't get a NPOV. The US is split into two almost equal
halves. The intellectuals, the literary talking-shop set still cannot
believe that Bush has won two successive elections. They just cannot
accept that (slightly) over half the country do not see things their
way. Note that I don't think they are Dem supporters, so much as a
conglomeration of anti-bush campaigners. Bush is the first pres since
his dad to get over 50% of the popular vote. So they claim the vote
must have been rigged. Bush has wide support through the South, Great
Plains, and Mountain states (83% by area). Which, coincidentally is
where most of the forces recruiting comes from.

The west coast and north east city intellectuals really cannot
communicate with the rest of the US. The web is full of their
anti-bush tirades, which they appear to be writing for each others'
benefit, just to confirm their anti-bush credentials. But if they try
to start lecturing your average mid-western type, then they are an
immediate turn-off and get booted out of town.

I don't see the split in the US changing for a very long time.

BillK