[extropy-chat] A crushing defense of objective ethics. Universal Volition and 'Ought' from 'is'.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 11 13:19:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 12:18:45PM +0200, giorgio gaviraghi wrote:
> since we are at 0.7 in the Kardashev scale of
> civilization level while the Omega point is located at
> an hypothetical Phase 5 level, we don't have any

The Kardashev scale is not a meaningful way to deal with Tipler.

> rational nor scientific possibility to make any
> prediction, due to lack of basic information .

We're talking about Tipler's Omega Point theory
http://www.math.tulane.edu/~tipler/summary.html

While not being a scientific theory, it contains a
few specific falsifyable, and since falsified predictions.

In that sense, it's wrong.

> Check.www.biologydaily.com/biology/Kardashev_scale
> only predictions can be based on faith, that's what
> religions are made of.

Absolutely. The Omega point theory is a religion.

However, according to current cosmology the Kardashev phase 5 is unachievable due to
signalling constraints due to dark energy-driven runaway expansion, and the total
number of operations is similiarly limited.

I also agree with you that at this time there is no point to discuss yet
unknown cosmology, or, rather, the very large number of possible yet
unknown cosmologies (including these, in which the Moon is made from
uncollapsed green cheese wavefunction).