[extropy-chat] against ID

Herb Martin HerbM at learnquick.com
Sat Nov 19 19:16:42 UTC 2005

On Nov 19, 2005, at 1:57 AM, gts wrote:

Truth is, I opened this thread to test the waters and find out it if my old
extropian friends are as opposed to the ID movement as I am. I've been away
from this discussion list for a couple of years.

Is there a consensus here on this subject?

Unless you rename "Intelligent Design" to "Simulation Argument". If the
"Intelligent Designer" is a computer simulator, and all creation is a
simulation, then you will not find quite as strong or as univerasal
opposition among transhumanists. Many can and do argue that we must at least
consider the possibility that we are living inside a simulation created by
some intelligent design. How this differs from ID, I don't see. But many
transhumanists do believe in ID in the guise of the Simulation Argument.

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>

This is one of the problems with teaching intelligent design in an science
class -- whatever evidence there might be would NOT likely point to some
particular mythology but rather to scientific explanations for who/what
might be designing or 'running' our world and these would likely arrive at
the explanation of a computer simulation by "godlike scientists" (from our
point of view) or perhaps a young god-like being playing with the "universal
simulator program" he just received for his birthday....

Explained scientifically, ID would make just about everyone who is arguing
for its teaching really angry.

--
Herb Martin