[extropy-chat] Nuke 'em

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sun Oct 23 23:03:21 UTC 2005

Damien Broderick wrote:

>[The subject line of this thread is weirdly
>dysfunctional and unpleasant, BTW, Greg, rather
>as if we were discussing ways to encourage
>people to love each other better under the heading `Rape 'em'.]

Long ago, I was project leader at an
international clearinghouse for information on
non-formal education. We had a grant from CDC to
build a database on the subject. During QA, I
stumbled into a DB entry that had us perplexed.
The entry was for an article entitled "Increasing Rape Yield."

Eventually, we figured out that what was meant was --

rape : a European herb (Brassica napus) of the
mustard family grown as a forage crop for sheep
and hogs and for its seeds which yield rapeseed
oil and are a bird food -- compare CANOLA

Also spelled rapé.

-- David.