[extropy-chat] cheap alcohol

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Thu Sep 22 06:46:05 UTC 2005

On Sep 21, 2005, at 8:34 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:01:11AM -1000, Robert Lindauer wrote:
>
>> So what you're saying is that despite the fact that it is a clean,
>
> Not clean.

really, what are the by products of which you are afraid?  Water,
carbon-dioxide?

>> readily available and renewable energy resource for which we currently
>
> Not readily available.

In every climate except suitable for growing anything, the ability to
grow sugar-rich crops is abundant.

>> have sufficient technology to continue producing it cheaply and
>> effectively, it's not perfect.
>
> Not cheaply, and effectively.

In Brazil, alcohol averages about $.90/gallon.

>  Not only is it not perfect, it is
> an approach only suitable for the developing countries, which
> have no infrastructure, nor know-how in industrial chemistry.

Or perhaps in the US where many, many corporations are investing
heavily in ethanol production.

> It is even considerably worse than biodiesel.

In what way, in that biodiesel produces the same waste in its use as
regular plain ol' diesel and costs much more to produce and produces
harmful byproducts in its production?

> If this sounds pretty damning, that's deliberate. I don't
> seem to be coming through with the balanced and nuanced view.
>
>> Okay, I get it.
>
> No, I don't think you do.

I should have said "I get you."

Robbie