[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 22:17:49 UTC 2006

Hi Ben,

  No problem. It wasn't so much a criticism, as it was a legitimate (arguably) question of mine  ;-) . I have another question though (presented as an experiment). Lets say that in the future it becomes possible to reversibly preserve a human (say through improved vitrification). So I decide to be vitrified, a 'perfect' scan is made of my brain, but is stored as information only (as a giant stack of printed pages), not implemented. I'm revived from the vitrification and go about my daily life (which should be pretty awesome). But, alas, I get killed in an accident one hour after revival. Is it your belief (or anyone elses' here) that if my mind-information later gets implemented (let's say in the form of a physical replica, made of real atoms - not simulated), that I will "reawaken", and it will still be "me".

  Just to save time I will provide my own answer here for the purpose of discussion. For now, I will say the answer is: yes, it will be "me". But, if I choose to believe this, I don't see how that refutes the "hive-mind" idea. It would seem to support it even. The only way it would seem to refute the hive-mind idea, would be with the assertion that: for some reason, I can only experience *one* identity at a time and not many; why would this necessarily be the case (even in the absence of mind enhancements)?

  But, you might easily be able convince me that the correct answer is: no, it will not be "me".

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich

ben <benboc at lineone.net> wrote:
  A B doubtfully said:

> I'm just going to try to clarify for my own understanding. If one
accepts that only the 'pattern' of information is necessary and
sufficient for establishing identity, then if I made a perfect copy of
myself, would I not expect a stream of experiences from both (or all)
'versions' simultaneously? If I made many copies, would I effectively
become a hive-mind? But if your answer is yes, then how can this be so?
Given that the human mind (as it is now) is incapable of *directly*
accessing other minds. Would the bandwidth (direct mind access ability)
of my own mind mysteriously double if make a single perfect copy of
myself? It doesn't seem like it should - because that would seem to
imply an instantaneous and significant alteration to the physical
arrangement of my brain (which seems unlikely), but perhaps I'm wrong.

Eek, no!

Perhaps i confused the issue by mentioning hive-minds. That would of
course require additional capabiilies to allow the different minds to
communicate with each other at an intimate level.

I'm glad that you doubted that interpretation of what i said. You're
perfectly right. I'm really embarrassed now, for saying something that
could be easily misinterpreted as a semi-mystical statement. Or not so
semi, for that matter. Sorry!

ben

http://mail.yahoo.com