[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 15:42:45 UTC 2006

On 4/6/06, Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> You could do it that way, but there's no need; all you have to do is take
> inert backup copies and store them a safe distance away, to be activated if
> something happens to the single running copy.

In computer database terminology this is known as a "rollback" [1].  The
problem is that you lose any changes you have made after the copy was made
(which is why I discussed the distance from and bandwidth between the
various instances).  Now of course we don't consider that when this happens
to individuals currently (e.g. loss of memory after a concussion, heavy
night of drinking, a minor stroke, etc.) that one is a "different" person --
we simply view it as the person having lost a minor fraction of their
memories.

Robert

1. Its an actual "keyword" in SQL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollback_%28data_management%29<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollback_%2528data_management%2529>