[extropy-chat] mathimatical model for the singularity

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 15:12:50 UTC 2006

On 12/11/06, ps udoname <ps.udoname at gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, atoms could be the linit of how small we can go.

We can deal with smaller individual entities such as single electrons or
single photons the problem is that it generally requires a fair number of
atoms to manipulate them [1].  The atoms/quantities manipulated becomes the
constraint because that determines how closely one can pack the computronium
subunits.  It will be interesting to see whether the speed of light or the
waste heat removal limits become the ultimate constraint on computational
throughput.

Yes, those and $1.25 will get you a ride on the Boston MBTA at this time.

>  What is this Boston MBTA ?

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.  $1.25 gets you on the
subway, $0.90 on the bus, but the prices go up in January.

1. One might observe that the power sources, air conditioners and radiators
for many high capacity computing centers could well be larger than the
compuntronium itself (in terms of volume and surface area) at this time.
When "everything" is computronium one no longer has this luxury.