[extropy-chat] thought space map on cartoons

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 18:23:23 UTC 2006

On 2/12/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Ja, the question becomes who was doing the ugly provocation.  This
> might lead to examination of the original twelve cartoons,
> then comparing to the Danish cleric's additional three.

I don't think the problem lies in Denmark so mush as the Middle East.  I
think it was the NY Times that pointed out the meeting (in Dec.?) in Saudi
Arabia involving leaders from a number of nations who decided to make the
cartoons an issue.  You have two different power groups, the imams and the
political leaders in primarily Islamic countries who did not gain their
power bases by democratic processes.  It is in both of their interests to
point out foreign (infidel) influences as being the "real" problem rather
than deal with their own cultural/political systems.  I think there was
specific mention that directing furor towards Europe gave the politicians in
Saudi Arabia a good argument to point out their support for Islam and
counter the arguments of radical/fundamentalist Islamics (Al Queda et al).

We have to remember that nations like Egypt & Saudi Arabia, potentially Iran
& Iraq, are sitting on population time bombs.  There are relatively limited
employment opportunities for young people.  As their population grows their
frustration is going to need an outlet.  Better for those in power to focus
that frustration on external "enemies" and avoid internal confrontations.

Robert