[extropy-chat] Cryonics and uploading

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Thu Jan 26 17:58:20 UTC 2006

On Jan 26, 2006, at 12:14 PM, Russell Wallace wrote:
> You said you subscribe to the view that even a perfect copy is in
> an important sense not the original; that's the view of identity
> that I refer to as "the thread view" (I'm open to suggestions from
> its adherents for a better name - no, "the correct view" will not
> be accepted ;)).

... its the view of someone who is looking at two identical coffee
mugs. =)

Let me ask this differently.

We make a perfect copy in every sense of the word, of item A.

How many items are there now?

> The thread view (identity is a verb, a continuing thread of
> consciousness) and the pattern view (identity is an adjective; as
> John Clark put it, "I am the way matter behaves when it is
> organized in a Johnclarkian way") give the same results most of the
> time; the one scenario that always gets adherents of the two
> arguing with each other is destructive scan uploading (fine by the
> pattern view, semelparous suicide by the identity view). (Happily,
> gradual uploading is a potential way around this problem for the

Even if I re-arrange matter in a johnclarkian way twice, is it John
Clark, or John Clark and another John Clark? Two John Clarks.

Bret K.