[extropy-chat] Cryonics and uploading

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 17:14:42 UTC 2006

On 1/26/06, Bret Kulakovich <bret at bonfireproductions.com> wrote:

> Tut-tut! I said no such thing!

You said you subscribe to the view that even a perfect copy is in an
important sense not the original; that's the view of identity that I refer
to as "the thread view" (I'm open to suggestions from its adherents for a
better name - no, "the correct view" will not be accepted ;)).

Provided of course...

If I duplicate item A perfectly in every sense as indicated, it is at the
> very best item A1. It is not item A, since Item A is sitting right there
> next to it, distinct and separate in every sense. A third copy would be A3,
> and so on, copying does not automatically mean replacing.

that your reason for saying A1 is not A is the fact that it lacks an
unbroken thread of continuity with A; if you have a different reason for
saying A1 is not A, then perhaps you suscribe to some third theory (in which
case I would be curious as to what it is).

And snub Descartes?

Afraid so, sorry Descartes.

- Russell