[extropy-chat] Draft Paper on Boredom and Superlongevity, just curious:)

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 17:11:51 UTC 2006

On 6/22/06, Anne-Marie Taylor <femmechakra at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I agree, but doesn't that mean that having a huge view is better than
> having a one tract mind but too many views,  is having too many
> distractions?

It depends how one manages it.  Many things that we consider to be
"brilliant" involve connecting things which are quite distant in idea
realms.  "You mean space is curved (geometry) by gravity (physics)?  Give me
a break..."  One of the aspects that makes my life interesting is that I can
do things like interconnect computer science with molecular biology with
aging with nanotechnology or discuss building some of the largest things one
can conceive of using the smallest conceivable technology.

In fact, if you know how to manage it, looking at a billion or a trillion
things (molecules, stars, etc.) actually gives you some interesting insights
as to how the Universe functions.  Particularly when it doesn't behave as
its supposed to (e.g. the "abnormal" supernova spotted in February).  One
learns a lot by understanding when the "rules" are never violated and what
the exceptions are.

Robert