[ExI] destuction of water

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 15 21:09:53 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Lee Corbin

> Subject: Re: [ExI] Regulation vs. Freedom
>
> Spike writes
>
> > Lee Corbin [wrote]
> >
> > > ...One woman acquaintance of mine insists not only that everyone in
> the household recycle all plastic bottles, but that they all be
*washed*...

> > ... by washing the bottles, she is actually
> > *wasting* water, which at least partially defeats the environmental
> > advantages of recycling.
>
> Ah, yet an even better argument!  But ... the entire effort is really just
symbolic.  (I hate symbolism.)

Me too Lee.  We should have a symbol for those who hate symbolism.  Perhaps
the most universally recognized symbol is the circle with the diagonal
slash, meaning "NO."  We could establish the symbol meaning "no symbolism"
as a circle with a slash inside of a larger circle with a slash.  But since
that is itself a symbol, which we oppose, we need a third larger circle with
a slash.  And so on, indefinitely.

Perhaps Anders or one of our other artists could make a symbol which means
No No No No...No Symbols...Symbols Symbols Symbols Symbols.

> > I am interested in what happens when the recycling promoters become
> > aware that watering lawns actually saves water, or more precisely,
recycles
> water.
>
> Hmm.  Does it also help replenish the ground water used by wells?
> I do get your point:  it's not like the water just disappears.

> Lee

Well actually it does destroy some of the water.  If a plant drinks the
water, most evaporates and is recycled, but some of the water molecules are
BRUTALLY DESTROYED, their hydrogen atoms STRIPPED away, combined with a
carbon atom from a similarly destroyed carbon dioxide molecule.  The
hydrogen atoms are combined with the carbon to make more plant tissue, and
the oxygen released into the atmosphere as a biological WASTE product!  Some
of the water really is GONE.  Lost!  We must act to save the precious water
molecules.

{8^D

Lee I often wonder if the sudden collapse of religion incorporated in the
west has resulted in a vacuum which is filled by an ill-defined earthism.
This earthism manifests itself as a mindless set of beliefs, a creed largely
beyond reason or debate, its adherents performing illogical rituals which
mysteriously fulfill some profound inner drive that organized religion once
served to satisfy.