[ExI] What surveillance solution is best - Orwellian, David Brin's, or ...?

Elaa Mohamad emohamad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 00:08:49 UTC 2007

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but I am sure Eugen Leitl will be
ecstatic about this.
I was applying for my UK visa yesterday and burst out laughing when I read:

 "Biometric data collection for visa applicants (15/03/07)

<blah blah>

By the end of 2007 all applicants, with few exceptions (Heads of State for
example), *will be required to supply 10 digit fingerscans and a digital
photograph when applying for a **UK** visa.*

Why?
<more blah blah>

We are not alone in doing this. Biometrics are becoming the industry
standard for identity management. Very soon, *we will be able to withdraw
money from our bank accounts using fingerscans or iris scans. Increasingly,
all passports will have a unique biometric identifier, whether this is
fingerscans or an iris scan or a digital photograph. All EU countries are
introducing fingerscan biometrics into their visas. *

Biometrics is the next natural step in a progression of identifiers from
signatures to photographs."

So I guess, here is the answer to your question:

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>Really? Some database somewhere "in the system" has my biometrics?
>I don't think so; and I'd like to keep it that way.

Believe me, I'd like to keep it that way as well. But I also need to go to
the UK.

 Eli