[ExI] Favorite ~H+ Movies

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 00:36:09 UTC 2007

On 6/24/07, Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, the criteria I've been using are portraying technology in a positive
> light, and - more important, sufficiently so to get a work at least an
> honorable mention by itself - the use of rational thought for solving
> problems.

There's another criterion that I haven't quite articulated yet; I'm not sure
exactly what to call it. Anti-fatalism? The attitude of "Screw that, there
is no fate. If the forecast is that we're doomed, then we'll just have to
find a way to invalidate it." It's a hard one to pin down, because in a
sense a lot of stories involve the heroes going up against opposition that's
on paper stronger than them. Often they win by sheer determination, which is
good, but not quite what I'm looking for in this regard. Sometimes they win
by resorting to mysticism or suchlike, which is definitely not what I'm
looking for.

"The mindset/model of reality that said we couldn't succeed is incomplete,
and here's how I'm going to prove it" might be another way to describe the
attitude I have in mind.