[ExI] POL: DHEA ban

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Fri May 4 11:23:31 UTC 2007

This is what the Life Extension Foundation wants its US members to send
to the US Congress.

Regards,

Dan
I am writing to urge you to vote AGAINST any legislation that would
restrict my free access to a dietary supplement called
dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA).

Senate bill 762 (S.762) and House Resolution 1249 (H.R. 1249) seek to
classify DHEA as a controlled substance under the anabolic steroid
category, something that this over-the-counter dietary supplement is
not.

DHEA has been freely sold to Americans for over 10 years and can provide
aging Americans with a safe alternative to expensive prescription drugs.

According to the United States government's Medline Medical Dictionary,
an "anabolic steroid" is defined as "any of a group of usually synthetic
hormones that are derivatives of testosterone, are used medically
especially to promote tissue growth, and are sometimes abused by
athletes to increase the size and strength of their muscles and improve
endurance."  (Reference: Medline Medical Dictionary-March 12, 2007)

Based on the government's own definition of "anabolic steroid", DHEA
does not fit into this category. DHEA is produced mainly in the adrenal
glands and serves as a natural precursor and balancer to many hormones
in the body. Controlled clinical trials indicate that its use in young
men does not result in performance-related gains and it is not
associated with the myriad of side effects that accompany anabolic
steroid abuse. Anabolic steroid drug abuse is purported to result in
cardiovascular conditions such as hypertension, atherosclerosis, and
blood clotting, liver conditions such as jaundice and hepatic carcinoma,
tendon damage, reduced fertility and breast enlargement (in males), and
adverse psychological and behavioral effects. DHEA does not exert such
effects.

Moreover, surveys of weightlifters and other athletes conducted by
researchers at Harvard University show that DHEA is rarely used to
increase muscle size-strength or improve endurance. Therefore, the
notion that DHEA is in any way comparable to controlled anabolic steroid
drugs is scientifically unfounded and legally invalid.

I ask that you vote NO on S.762 and H.R.1249 and any other bills that
contain language that would in any way restrict my free access to DHEA.
Please write me to let me know your position on this critically
important issue.

Sincerely,