[ExI] Stranger Than Fiction: The Pope and the Fish Snacker

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon May 7 20:48:31 UTC 2007

At 08:45 PM 5/7/2007 +0200, Amara wrote:

>Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) apparently sent an official, personal letter
>to the Vatican, asking Pope Benedict XVI to bless the company's upcoming,
>"Fish Snacker" sandwich so Catholics could eat it in good grace on Fridays
>during Lent.

Fishy as all this sounds, I feel a need to inform
the theologically impaired that for four decades
it hasn't been a mortal sin (worthy of eternal
hellfire) or even a venial sin (a few thousand
subjective years of ghastly torment in Purgatory) to eat meat on Friday.

"In November 1966, the... bishops´ conference´s
"Complementary Norms on Penance and Abstinence"
released American Catholics from a strict
obligation under pain of sin to abstain from meat on Fridays outside of Lent."

Unless Benedict changed it back recently, in
which case KFC could bring out the Rat Zinger Special.

Father Damien