[ExI] Cold fusion: some new results.

Benjamin Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Tue May 8 20:37:30 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> Benjamin Goertzel
>
> > Naturwissenschaften is a reasonably high-quality magazine,
>
> More respectable than Physical Review Letters if you believe that loony
> list
> because it's not even on it; but American Scientist and Scientific
> American
> are, and they are just one step above Popular Mechanics. And I'm sure The
> Proceedings Of The Royal Society Of New Zealand is nice, but is it really
> better than "Physical Review Letters"?

That was specifically a list of multidisciplinary science magazines, listed
by impact factor.  It did not include single-discipline journals.

> with a respectable impact factor.
>
> Not only have I never heard of Naturwissenschaften I've never heard of
> "impact factor" either.

Well, essentially all contemporary academics have heard of it.

To educate yourself, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_factor

> I have never heard any journal state such a ban, the only ban they have is
> against crappy papers.

The politics of cold fusion have been complex.  In several cases Nature has
rejected cold fusion papers without appropriate refereeing.

And early on, there was the key refusal by Nature to publish scientific
correspondence which questioned the Caltech "null" calorimetry experiments.

In another case, though,
Science published a cold fusion paper although government officials tried
to convince it not to:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2002/03/25/tbltpfusion.DTL

> I figure a big enough breakthrough in CF would
> > overcome their bad attitudes toward CF.  I am pretty confident
> > a sufficiently large breakthrough will occur in the next 10-15 years,
>
> Why are you "pretty confident"? There was no big breakthrough in the last
> 15
> years, in fact there were no small breakthroughs, there was nothing, NOT
> ONE
> THING.

Well that's just not true, there have been dozens of publications.

> And won't anyone put their money where their mouth is?

You turned down my $100 bet, John.

-- Ben G