[ExI] abandon all buses

Spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Nov 3 03:34:40 UTC 2007

bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of giovanni santost
Subject: Re: [ExI] Worldwide reading habits (was: abandoning hope - the
queuing experience)

... said that he read that book.  How likely is that to happen in the US...

Granted, not very likely.

... (not many buses here anyway...)?

Ja most US places are not well suited for buses.  The environmentalists were
pushing them for a long time, but anyone with eyes could daily witness huge
Diesel buses belching black clouds of possibly carcinogenic choking carbon
particulates, chugging around the valley with three or four apes aboard.
The gasoline powered Detroit V8s, each hauling a single ape, are far more
environmentally friendly.

The solution to this paradox was your classic silicone valley: they bought a
number of fuel cell buses at a cost of 1.3 million dollars each.  These now
can be seen belching pristine clean white clouds of steam, chugging around
the valley with three or four apes aboard.

A far more environmentally agreeable solution has been staring at us for
some time, one I have suggested repeatedly: skip the buses, use the money to
build bicycle-only roads.  I and a lot of others will ride bikes if we can
do so safely.  I have a nice recumbent that is a great street bike, but it
sits too low to be safe in traffic.