[ExI] "general repudiation of Transhumanism"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 05:02:01 UTC 2008

At 08:38 PM 4/27/2008 -0700, Anna wrote:

> >"It is very striking how often it is the religious in particular who
> >mock and assail others because their ideas are "crazy" and
> >"religious." ...Presumably it isn't *just* that such ideas are
> "religious" but that they are also "crazy,"
>
>I'd like you to describe to me what entails crazy?

Why are you asking *me*? I'm not one of the religious who (for
example) mock the technological singularity because  it is allegedly
a "Rapture for geeks", or who claim that a desire to prevent aging
and death is just a laughable form of religion (like Scientology or
the Raelian UFO cult)--rather than what it is, a practical research
program based on our swiftly growing understanding of biology and information.

Damien Broderick