[ExI] Cost of synfuel was Air-powered cars

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 09:41:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:01 AM, hkhenson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:
> At 10:50 PM 6/10/2008, you wrote:
> The theory doesn't matter in the least.  Whether the oil was cooked
> out of organic deposits from living things (as all indications point
> to for the western shale deposits) or it came from some deep dark
> crevice in the earth, the important thing is that we are close to or
> at the limit of how fast we can pump it.

If I may step in, there is nothing especially mysterious AFAIK in oil
and gas, whatever the origin of the "natural" deposit of the same may
be. We can well enough syntesise both since at least II World War (I
understand that Germany did it quite extensively), for whatever use of
them we may think of, and whenever they may continue making sense as
fuels or energy storage compound.

The problem is that we need energy to do that, and of course such
energy cannot be taken from... burning some other oil or gas, or even
some alternative fossil fuel that is also limited in nature (say,
coal).

Thus, we have to profit more extensively and directly from the very
process that has originally produced "natural" oil and gas, namely
nuclear fusion, be it in artificial reactors or by going to space and
getting it from "natural" reactors, i.e., stars. Then you can have all
the oil and gas you like, but without waiting for the geological ages
natural production involves. Not that you would need much, once the
energy is already there.

Stefano Vaj