[ExI] Societal coherency and AGI vs. Internal coherency and AGI

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 23:09:17 UTC 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008, Jef Allbright wrote:
> Welcome to my club.  <grrrr>  That we each operate within our own
> model of 'reality', interpreting the world around us within contexts
> only partially overlapping, should (in the moral sense) inspire us to
> cooperate in creating an increasingly coherent, increasing
> encompassing model, rather than determinedly defending our models as
> if they were ourselves.

It is interesting that I too come to the same conclusion of create/use
rather than preservation but through a different path. I wouldn't say
that "partially overlapping contexts" should inspire us to cooperate.
After all, we may not all have the same internal meaning, each of us
tends to receive inspiration differently. That sounds like a top-down
approach from looking at the status of society etc. And while that does
show an arrow of increasing societal coherency, what about internal
coherency leading to that conclusion to create? Of course, Jef, your
response was wrt Richard's socio observation, yes, but perhaps this
highlights a potential argument against public debate on these topics?

- Bryan