[ExI] Space Based Solar Power vs. Nuclear Fission

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun May 18 09:58:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Kevin H wrote:
> Good question, and I'm interested in an answer.  But just for clarification,
> I just wanted to add that I think we should be pursuing *both*.  I think
> with the consequences of an energy crisis, we need to try every play in the
> book, even if it has other risks/damage associated with it.  IMHO.

Giant projects are OK, if they ever get done.
But then they also become single point of failure risks.

If you are really worried about the energy crisis, you have to DIY.

First, get your home off the grid, as far as is economical.
More insulation in loft and walls, double or triple glazing windows.
The economies of solar power and wind power are improving every year.
i.e. A roof of solar cells is too costly this year, but soon.........

New wind power designs are appearing regularly.
<http://www.news.com/8301-11128_3-9945005-54.html>
A small Massachusetts-based start-up, FloDesign Wind Turbine, this
week won two clean-energy competitions with a "shrouded turbine"
design that it says can generate three to four times more electricity
than today's hulking wind turbines.

Vertical axis windmills are also an improvement, some using magnetic
levitation for efficiency.

Move your personal transport away from oil.
More economical cars, bikes, public transport.

It is all about self-sufficiency. Don't wait for the guvmint to provide.
If every individual home does it, who cares about the price of oil?

BillK