[ExI] TECHNOPHOBIA!

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 09:52:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at comcast.net> wrote:
> So I assume you, or some transhumanists have read it?

Sure, I would never miss a book with such a title...

>I won't have time to read it, but I sure think it would be great to have a short concise statement by some transhumanist so that when any Luddite friends (or whoever) of mine throw this book at me, I have an easy, compelling and powerful response?

I have not much to add to what I have already said. Dinelli is
probably right to some extent, even though it is a very one-sided
argument and he omits to mention the many exceptions that exist, but
this does not prevent transhumanists or more in general SF fans from
getting nevertheless inspiration from a given SF scenario, or even to
come to opposite conclusions.

For instance, I remember that when I first saw The Forbidden Planet, I
liked it, but at the same time it was rather automatic for me to
reject out of hand the message that the loss of the science of the
Krell was ultimately "a good thing for the humankind".

--
Stefano Vaj