[ExI] pat condell's latest subtle rant

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 22:12:32 UTC 2009

2009/12/8 Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com>:
> Hmm, that leaves precious few religions that do not.  Christianity certainly isn't one of them.  Before you object, consider that the only thing that restrains it is secular law, whereas Islam has no such restraint.  Go back a few hundred years and find a religion that did not practice the killing of unbelievers.  Even Buddhism isn't spotless in this regard.

I beg to differ. With the exception of middle-east monotheisms, and
unless and until confronted therewith, it seems to me that most world
religions could not care less about "unbelief".

Can you imagine, say, a druid trying to obtain the forced conversion
of a war prisoner? Aboriginal Austrialians fighting against one
another on the basis of theological dissents? A Zen practitioner
attacking a shinto shrine? Venus partisans against Iuppiter partisans
in ancient Rome?

--
Stefano Vaj