[ExI] consciousness and perception

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 20:42:51 UTC 2009

> I didn't know you were a representationalist.

 Thanks for the good words and invite! When I wrote [*] for ought I knew
it was a new idea. I was pondering the question, since my percept of a
star in the heavens is actually just photos from a star that have struck
my optic nerve and been processed in my brain, how is it that the percept
appears 'out there'. Suddenly I concluded that what I see as being 'out
there' must be a model in my brain built up from sensory data emanating
from a real 'out there' that I can't see directly except by way of neural
acquisition and representation.

 Then, while doing research for my longer paper in the student journal I ran into Lehar's extensive work and found that the idea goes way back.

> I'm betting we'll soon be able to congratulate each other as being the
> first members of the camp that represents THE ONE true theory of
> consciousness.

 I don't know what representationalism tells use about consciousness. I
see it as a mechanical way of assembling percepts for an 'observer', ie,
a conscious self. But this process does not necessarily entail an
observer. Take for example 'absence epilepsy' during which an epileptic
can interact with the world, but only in a mechanical lifeless way. By all
appearances, both from other observers and the epileptic afterward, there
was no conscious self there during the seizure. And yet it seems clear
that the brain was assembling a model of the world all the while.

 Also, there can be things in our field of vision that we fail to notice,
even though the brain assembled a representation of them. So it seems like
the conscious self is something still higher. I suspect we agree about
that. Obviously consciousness is an exceedingly complex and mysterious
issue. But I'd be interested to know how you see representationalism as
an inherent feature of the right theory of consciousness. Though I
suspect you can't have a conscious being interacting with the world in
complex ways without that being having assembled a world model. ~Ian

[*] http://www.iangoddard.com/paranorm.htm

http://IanGoddard.com

"It is Art, and Art only, that reveals us to ourselves." - Oscar Wilde