[ExI] consciousness and perception

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 22 21:40:24 UTC 2009

At 12:42 PM 1/22/2009 -0800, Ian G. wrote:

>When I wrote [*] for aught I knew
>it was a new idea. I was pondering the question, since my percept of a
>star in the heavens is actually just photos from a star that have struck
>my optic nerve and been processed in my brain, how is it that the percept
>appears 'out there'. Suddenly I concluded that what I see as being 'out
>there' must be a model in my brain
>[*] http://www.iangoddard.com/paranorm.htm

Mental modeling has been investigated for decades, of course (and
seems to me self-evident); see, e.g. Philip Johnson-Laird's, um,
MENTAL MODELS (1983) and lots of work by Stephen Kosslyn and his
associates; from Wiki on Kosslyn: "Image and Mind (1980), Ghosts in
the Mind's Machine (1983), Wet Mind (1992, with Olivier Koenig),
...Image and Brain (1994), The Case for Mental Imagery (2006, with
Thompson and Ganis)" etc.

Your 1999 explanation for out of body experiences is pretty much the
same reached by psychologist/memeticist Susan Blackmore's (summarized
in Beyond the Body: An Investigation of Out-Of-The-Body Experiences,
Academy Chicago Publishers, 1983).

Damien Broderick