[ExI] Current Psychology

Michael Schock mschock at berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 30 18:56:52 UTC 2010

  Hi Sabrina, Stathis, et al.,

As Stathis mentioned, CBT is the dominating psychological discipline in
the western world.  Positive Psychology, as an outgrowth of CBT, seems
to be gaining traction in the west (and east:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2cnamzb).  There's a Harvard booklet on
Positive Psychology that acts as a good starting-off point, actually.
See http://preview.tinyurl.com/2eemetb.  Of course, there's always
Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_psychology.  In
essence, the western psychological community has spent too much time
focusing on negative aspects of humanity (e.g. the DSM) whereas positive
psychologists believe attention should be focused on positive traits and
the enhancement thereof.  I speculate that Positive Psychology will work
rather well as a psychological overlay upon any sort of collective
intelligence that humans might develop, with a biological substrate or
otherwise.  This is my first post!  Hope I'm replying according to
protocol.  :)

--
Michael J. Schock
B.A. Physics | UC Berkeley | May 2010