[ExI] Best case, was Hard Takeoff

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 04:49:05 UTC 2010

Spike wrote:
I thought nanotech would precede the
singularity.  More specifically, the kinds of computing technology enabled
by nanotech would enable the singularity.  Now I am convinced he was right,
that faster computers alone wouldn't do it.  Furthermore, in the past 15
years, I have become convinced that humans will not master nanotech, that a
>H silicon based intelligence would be required to do much with it.

It will slow down the "fullblown Singularity" TM (yes, I'm
trademarking the term  ; )  ), if we have to wait for our AGI to
perfect mature nanotech, which may be very key to it creating a
post-scarcity economy, that includes indefinite lifespan for everyone!

I preferred the old scenario of "ten minutes after an AGI comes into
being, it becomes a billion times smarter than any human, and fifteen
minutes after that, it has transformed everyone and everything, to
live in a near utopian society, or else killed us all!"  I remember
this as essentially being Eliezer's classic scenario back then.  Do I
recall it incorrectly?

Fullblown Grigg Singularity (TM) -  A term regarding a type of
Singularity scenario, where a benevolent AGI develops mature nanotech,
to bring forth both a post-scarcity society and also indefinite
lifespan for all of humanity.

John  : )