[ExI] Meat and the paleo diet, again

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sun Apr 17 01:32:07 UTC 2011

"Natasha Vita-More" <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote,
> <Like>

<Thanks>

> "Harvey, that strikes me as being right on the money.  The question is, how
> can modern humans best approximate the diet that our bodies are evolved for?
> (in the absence of gene tweaks that can make us optimally healthy on
> vegetarian or vegan diets, or any other kind of sustainable diet, for that
> matter)."

> This diet works for me to some extent. The problem with it for me is 2-fold:
> I do not want to loose weight and I do not want to eat animals.  Making sure
> I get enough calories each day to keep weight on is difficult. [My
> aesthetics does not favor with CR at all. I love human bodies that are
> svelte with muscles, curves and sex appeal.] The second part is that I do
> not want to or enjoy eating dead animals.

Eating meat is totally unnecessary with modern technology.  There are
dairy or vegetarian sources of protein and fat.  Even saturated fat if
you want.  So the nutrient content of any diet can be simulated from
other sources.  We don't get the same meat that primative people did, so
even eating meat might not recreate the same balance of protein and fats
of the animals they ate.  So I like to try to choose a diet based
macronutrients desired, and then choose foods to obtain them in the
right proportion.  And I believe either meat-based or veggie-based diets
can approximate proetin/fat ratios and types as desired.

(I think I choose more long-chain carbs and less saturated fats than
some here.  But all combinations of high/low carbs/proteins/fats can be
combined from vegetarian sources.)

--
Harvey Newstrom, Security Consultant, <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CGEIT CSSLP CRISC CIFI NSA-IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP