[ExI] Original list Was: Re: Call To Libertarians

Max More max at maxmore.com
Tue Feb 22 05:37:29 UTC 2011

Yes, it's a pain in the butt in terms of promulgating those brilliant and
stimulating early posts, but we absolutely will continue to abide by the
conditions agreed to two decades ago. I am NEVER going to set aside the
agreement of that time in favor of satisfying today's (perfectly natural)
desire to see the earliest posting to the older transhumanist email list
(and one of the very earliest email lists of all).

If the early archives are never generally available because of this, then so
be it. However, it may be that most of that early material might eventually
become available with the consent of the authors.

*** Writers from the early 1990s: If you agree to allow all of your postings
to the original Extropians email list to be publically available, please let
me (and the world -- or at least the Extropians-Chat email list) know.

--- Max

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM, David Lubkin <lubkin at unreasonable.com>wrote:

> Dave Sill wrote:
>
> Why don't we just anonymize the archives for people who don't want their
>> articles associated with them? Just assign them IDs like "Anonymous #1",
>> "Anonymous #2", etc.
>>

> Because that's theft and breach of contract.
>
> We original-list authors own what we wrote. As such, we (largely) control
> what may lawfully be done with it. Taking our names off doesn't change that.
>
> Also, separately we, as a society unto ourselves, practicing "privately
> produced law," stated very clearly and repeatedly that nothing posted to the
> list could be used off the list without the specific consent of the authors
> in question. And this list is not that list.
>

> -- David.

Max More
Strategic Philosopher
Co-founder, Extropy Institute