[ExI] The twists & turns of politics & idealism (was: The End of the Future)

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 03:02:53 UTC 2011

2011/10/6 Amon Zero <amon at doctrinezero.com>:
> It is
> an unfortunate truth that anyone who wants to get a message out has to
> present a certain degree of confidence, and therfore cannot afford more than
> one or two mis-steps, retractions, re-thinks etc, but I think it's very
> important that these matters are addressed intelligently rather than reduced
> to posturing.

Agreed.  Which makes lists like this useful: you can refine ideas and get
others to spot the obvious-to-everyone-but-yourself flaws that always exist in
the first draft of anything complex.

> Your suggestion is a good one, I think, very interesting indeed. Thanks.
> I'll think on that and pass it on to the others for further discussion.

Thanks.  Please let me know if they come up with good refinements of it.
I've been thinking about the third party problem for a while, and that seems
to be something they could usefully do.

The problem, though, is getting people who live in a wide variety of
districts and who'd identify with the party.  Large concentrations in one
area - say, the SF Bay Area - simply won't cut it.  You need help from
the boonies.  Notice that the major party candidates tour rural areas a
lot more when they're trawling for votes than when they're trawling for
cash.  Also, do a survey of where the majority of districts are - and thus,
where the majority of Representatives, of either party, are from.