[ExI] Religion & transhumanism (not the usual!)

Amon Zero amon at doctrinezero.com
Tue Sep 6 08:56:26 UTC 2011

2011/9/6 Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com>

> Yes, we are techno-gnostics.  So what?
>
> A very powerfully intelligent AGI could have created the universe we seem
> to inhabit, or even dozens of them.  But so what?    There is no evidence
> this is the case and it isn't supportive of mysticism or a lot of murky
> thinking if it is the case.   Believe me, I have tried to justify all kinds
> of pseudo-religious, pseudo-mystical,  totally groovy forever after notions
> on such basis.  It doesn't work.
>
> The notion of a "Supreme Being" says basically that there is a top, a no
> more beyond this, an End.  I have no use for the notion.

Hi Samantha -

Well - fair enough!

In my defense, I will repeat that I don't think these ideas are
uncontroversial. Not everyone is as accepting of the idea that we
transhumanists are "cybergnostics" as you (and I) apparently are. My answer
to this "so what" is that adopting this stance, or at least acknowledging
the potential value of adopting it, strikes me as a lot more powerful a
position than pouring scorn on anyone who would draw parallels between
transhumanism and ancient religions. This issue, of course, is entangled
with the question of whether influencing public opinion is something
transhumanists should be working toward. I believe that it is.

As for the "so what" in regard to it being valid for a materialist-atheist
to work with the idea of 'gods' & a supreme being... I'll say that it you
personally have no use for a symbol of the Universe in all its wondrous
complexity, whatever you choose to call that, then fair enough. That's your
business. But again, the majority of the world's people *do* feel the need
for such symbols, and it may behoove us to acknowledge that we have access
to conceptual tools which would allow us to communicate with, and if
necessary influence them.

In a nutshell; These blog posts are early, flawed attempts at
conceptualizing a "language of conciliation" between futurist/atheists and
believers of whatever stripe. If the day comes when transhumanism could
score a major victory if only it can muster mass support outside its own
traditional circles, then we would probably be glad of such a language.

- A