[ExI] pussy riot case

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Aug 23 23:58:31 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson

>> ...  That being said, he didn't actually spill classified
> information, for if it is classified, it wouldn't have been on any
> network which had a USB port.  He spilled a ton of sensitive information
for sure.

>... but the damage he could have done would have been far less without the
assistance of Mr. Assange. I don't know about USB ports and all that, but
every news story says the information or much of it was "classified".
-Kelly

Kelly OK cool, I realized why it is you and I were misunderstanding each
other.

The people who are in big trouble here are the ones who wrote classified
info on a computer system which isn't qualified for that level of
classification.  Any system which has a disk burner, a USB port in which one
can put a flash drive, any kind of removable medium or memory, usually any
computer case which is not locked or can be opened or compromised without
setting off alarms or disabling everything, any computer which is physically
located outside a facility specifically designed for containing classified
info, any computer which meets any one of the above is an example of a
computer on which no one is allowed to write classified info.

This is puzzling: I read the Wikipedia page, which says the material was a
quarter of a million US diplomatic cables, 40% confidential, 6% secret.  So
now I don't understand how all that secret stuff ended up where a 19 yr old
PFC could get to it, 1500 secret documents, oy.  That represents a pile of
security clearances which are now up in smoke.  From the security office's
point of view, the info was already compromised by the time PFC Manning saw
it.  Whoever wrote the info on a non-secure system (see above) would lose
their clearance at the very least, which means they lose their job.  I don't
know what they do in a case like this.  We need to stand by and see what the
final verdict reads.