[ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Feb 13 23:51:13 UTC 2012

One way that you can time your exit (and entry into the cryopreservation
process) is to refuse food and water. It's not pleasant and requires
determination, although some say it gets easier after the first couple of
days. This is not treated as a suspicious death if you are already terminal
with cancer or something else deadly.

Alcor members who expect to die soon (you are eligible for hospice care if
the doctor thinks you have less than six months) can optimize their
cryopreservation by relocating to hospice in Scottsdale and then refuse
food and fluids. This leads to a fairly predictable decline with our
standby team on hand. In this situation, the time from pronouncement to
arrival at Alcor (after administering medications, restoring circulation,
and starting cooling) can take less than 30 minutes.

--Max

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/2/11 spike <spike66 at att.net>
> > In the US, we don’t really have a choice.  One of the early cryonics
> cases as I recall had a disputed time of death issue.  Dora Kent:
> http://www.alcor.org/Library/html/DoraKentCase.html
>
> I appreciate that, and this is not really unusual in existing legal
> systems.
>
> Should we however seek an undefined lifespan without at the same time
> advocating for the freedom to obtain assisted suicide at any time, for
> whatsoever reason?
>
> I fully accept that given the rather remote chances of resurrection,
> cryonic suspension of a healthy (or, at least, alive) individual may
> well be considered as such by some.
>
> But why should this be anybody else's business? The reason why we
> should support even "turist" cryonic suspension, for those willing to
> take the bet, is the same why we should support the freedom to obtain
> euthanasia and cremation if one so wishes.
>
> --
> Stefano Vaj

Max More, PhD
Strategic Philosopher