[ExI] types of cars and ethics

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jul 27 01:40:12 UTC 2012

[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Grigg
Subject: Re: [ExI] types of cars and ethics

>.And then there are those drivers who will will go out of their way to hit
pedestrians, and especially the homeless...  If robotics were much more
advanced, I would want to see studies done on that subject.  John

One of the biggest challenges for robo-cars will be how to deal with furry
beasts bolting into the path.  With the proper IR sensors, the software will
detect a deer, rabbit or dog beside the road from a greater distance.  I
would suggest slowing for anything larger than a squirrel.  What I don't
know is how to deal with birds, for they are warm and are more likely to
hang around beside the road.

That bit about drivers swerving to flatten beasts is really working on my
mind.  It reminds me of slaying bulls for fun and thrills.  Robo-cars will
never swerve to hit things, but may be annoying with excessive caution when
birds perch beside the road.